Sunday 3 October 2010

Ryder Cup

Quite why somebody decided that holding this event in Wales in October would be a good idea escapes me for the moment but nevertheless they did so here we are with one of the worlds most significant sporting events due to take place over the first weekend in October. Unfortunately the glorious Welsh climate has intervened and thus far the competition has been a near complete washout.

But why?

I used to play a bit of golf a few years ago and along with every other amateur golfer in the UK I was equipped with wet weather gear. I had a rain suit which kept me dry, a wide brimmed hat, waterproof shoes, waterproof gloves and a big umbrella. In short despite the very best efforts of the British climate I kept dry whilst out on the course. I even had a waterproof cover for by golf bag so the clubs did not get any wetter than they needed to.

I cannot remember any competition I was in from the monthly medal to the annual club championship being postponed because of rain, so why is the Ryder cup being delayed by a little precipitation?

The competitors each have somebody on hand to lug round the extra kit, they will have access to the very best wet weather gear FOC, yet for some to me unfathomable reason they are not expected to venture forth into the Welsh countryside and risk getting wet.

The paying spectators are perfectly willing to stand around in the wind and rain for hours on end, mostly keeping themselves warm and dry with their own waterproofs and umbrellas yet the massively wealthy prima-donnas they have come to see while away the hours ensconced in a warm dry hotel playing cards or watching TV or whatever until the clouds roll back and they can sally forth unencumbered by a layer of Gore-Tex. I do hope the paying public who have shelled out a small fortune for tickets will be reimbursed for the cost of tickets and the time and expense they have incurred but I sadly doubt they will.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Europe, I hope all those who paid for Friday and saw next to no golf enjoyed watching it on TV today without a refund for the money they spent on tickets.

    ReplyDelete