Saturday 18 September 2010

Manners maketh man

What is it with people today, particularly the youth that they no longer practice common courtesy. At school yesterday my daughter arranged to meet up with a couple of friends in town this lunchtime. After waiting a while nobody had turned up so she rang one of these girls and was told that she had decided to go shopping with her mother instead to another nearby town. It would have cost her next to nothing to send a text about the change of plan but it never even occurred to her. It would never have occurred to me to make such an arbitrary change of plan when I was her age without notifying my friends but it seems to be normal teenage behaviour these days. My daughter seems totally unfazed yet had I been stood up like this I would be spitting blood.

Why do so few parents teach their children basic manners, is it because they are lacking in them themselves or are they just outmoded for society today. Are good manners an anachronism that are no longer relevant for modern society?

I am afraid that I cannot accept there is no need for manners, in fact I would contend that they are more needed today than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment